Sunday, December 16, 2012

Stand Back, I'm Going to Try...SCIENCE!

Welcome to my very first post on my very first blog!
First, a bit about myself.  I am currently a student teacher in Texas teaching 8th grade on level and preAP science.  I greatly enjoy my job, and I can't wait until I have a class of my very own!

One of the most unexpected joys that I have discovered in teaching this subject and age group is that lesson planning is a little bit like event planning.  Each week (and each night), I gather all of my materials and plan how I can best convey the awesome field and concepts of SCIENCE (*echoes*) to 13 and 14 year olds.


We do a lot of hands on discovery labs and group activities.  For example, in learning about the food web, they played an interactive game of "food web tag" in which each student was a different member of the food web.  We've done chemical reaction lab, bean bunny genetics, stations labs with gallery walks, whiteboard races, and used galaxy tabs and ipads to create bohr models.  Some of the favorite things we've done include our weekly demos.  These include anything from using rolling chairs to show Newton's 1st and 3rd laws of motion, to flame tests (look like fireworks), to the gummy bear sacrifice (see video and link below).

http://www.woodrow.org/teachers/ci/1988/gummybear.htm

That's all for now!  More to come soon... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment